Monday, August 12, 2013

Halfway mark! 6 weeks down, 6 to go!

We've hit the halfway mark!! Brynlee is officially 6 weeks old (34 weeks gestationally) as of Sunday. Only 6 more weeks until her "due date" (only?!) They tell us to aim for her due date so that if they give us an earlier date and she's not ready to go home yet, we're not heart broken.



 We have had a pretty good week! On Wednesday, because she was almost 34 weeks, I got to try to breastfeed Brynlee for the first time. They said it's normal if she doesn't latch on the first couple of times. Sure enough, she latched on right away and did great! I was able to do that once a day on Thursday and Friday as well. Then on Sunday, when she finally hit 34 weeks, Darren got to give her her very first bottle! She ate the entire thing, which again, isn't normal for the first bottle! So she's definitely a rock star! So once she starts taking breast or bottle once a shift, they move it to every third care, then everyother. And then, if shes taking most of her feeds by then, they get to take out her ng tube (feeding tube through her nose). As of last night, she weighed 1700 grams (3lbs 11oz) and is 16 inches long. Once she hits 1800 grams she gets to come out of her isolette and into a crib. By that time, we should be pros at changing diapers in any and all situations!  So, basically, she is doing great and changing so quickly and progressing better than we could hope for!  Praise be to God!



We can't wait to take her home of course, but as of right now, believe it or not, things are a little simpler and less overwhelming at the hospital. I think it's because so many people want to see you all the time and you also know there's so much to be kept up with back home (house work, bills, yard work, grocery shopping, laundry, etc). To look at the bright side of things, it's kinda nice having a break from it all and just spending time being all googly eyed over our sweet girl. I will say this, I think Darren and I can both agree that we can't wait to sleep in our own king size bed again instead of these 2 full size beds haha. And it will be nice to be able to feed or change Brynlee in my pjs instead of having to get dressed and drive over to the hospital to do it lol. 



I know the long haul is wearing on Darren because I'm already tired of it and I;ve only made it 3 times. I think it's a mixture of the late nights, early mornings, and the hour to an hour and a half drive after a long day of work. In Darren's words, Denver can "fall in a hole". Parking here sucks, driving/drivers suck and people are rude, (all of them except our awesome nurses taking care of Brynlee). Haha so we're all definitely ready to go home when this is all over. 



Last Thursday was a nice break when Darren's family came up and we went to the zoo! I just love spending time with my niece! Although all we all really talked about was how fun it'll be when we can bring Brynlee with us next time. After each animal we saw, Evie would say, "we see more?!" She had a blast!





1 comment:

Brynlee Jo Bucklen

Hi loved ones!  Many of you have been asking if we would start a blog to keep you all updated on Brynlee's progress.  So here goes, let...